Thursday, August 11, 2005

Tip #3 – Find A Support System and Get Guidance For Losing Weight

I was very luck to be able to have two support systems throughout my weight loss process. Just having one is very important, but of course, the more the merrier.

Ever since I decided it was time to lose weight, I knew my father was with me 100% of the way. He had been through the weight loss process before and knows how difficult yet rewarding it can be. It was great having his success story as a motivation as well as having his guidance on losing weight, portion control and what to eat. My dad’s was especially helpful in the beginning, when I decided not to weigh each piece of food I ate, and not to count calories. It was great to base my portions on what my father ate. My dad provided the support and inspiration to continue trying to lose weight through adversity. My continual push to succeed ended up paying off.

My father was by far the best support system and guide available to me, but I did call upon one more person, a dietician. Lisa Bunce, my dietician, is the person I attribute to saving my life. Life more in social and psychological terms than physical terms, but do not get me wrong, if I continued to gain weight I had some serious medical problems ahead of me (for more information, see my story about my weight loss in the My Teenage Weight Loss link to the right). With my dad providing the inspiration and Lisa as my guide, I found a way to beat obesity. Could I have succeeded in maintaining a healthy diet and weight loss without a support system? Probably. But I certainly do not want to find out, and I think that the weight loss process would have been that much harder without Lisa and my dad there along the way.

I understand that not everyone can find this support as easily as I did. I encourage you to go to a Jenny Craig or a Weight Watchers. I know Curves has been great for my mother. Seek out these diet-consulting places; they can do wonders in advice and in keeping you in check. Always remember, you must weigh in every week.

As I said, my dad was very instrumental in helping me lose weight, but I think this is true not because he is my father, but because he is also my friend. Find a friend to help you lose weight, and use them as your #1 support. Lose weight with your partner, work out together, let them motivate you and vice versa. There is always strength in numbers. For example, my next goal is to run an Iron Man triathlon. The first thing I did was to call a few friends to find out if they would like to train with me. Friends are the most important people in your life. I cannot stress enough the importance of creating a support system around you in your weight loss endeavors. It will make the weight loss process that much easier and smoother.

Tip #3 is definitely a thank you to Lisa Bunce and my dad Eric. As much as they both claim that I can pull off anything I set my mind to, I would have had a hell of a time losing weight without them. Thank you Lisa and Dad, together the three of us saved my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home